Vote NO 2 TAX APRIL 7th

Vote NO 2 TAX APRIL 7th

Friday, January 23, 2015

Don't give shoppers more reasons to shop in Scott County

BILL COULTER of CEI Power Equipment in Moline wrote the following letter in the March 21, 2009 Dispatch. His words are still true today. "The proposed 1 percent sales tax increase for Rock Island County is being tossed about as a savior for the schools in the county. I've been in several of the schools and I agree that they could use some paint and some TLC. I don't agree, however, with the arguments I'm hearing via the media regarding the sales tax increase. ..... I've heard it said that a "measly" 1 percent will not affect sales. I wonder how they figure that out. The increase will raise the costs of the goods I sell anywhere from $3.50 to $37. How's that not a deterrent in any competitive business? If price differences this minor (their words) don't affect sales, why do Iowa businesses off the I-74 bridge place banners shouting the message that their fuel is cheaper/their cigarettes are cheaper and why do I see so many cars with Illinois license plates there? The truth is some people already plan their trips to Iowa and while there, they are sure to fill up since it's cheaper and they already were in Iowa. This proposed tax increase of 1 percent will only help Iowa stores like NorthPark and only hurt the stores in RICO. ..... How many more empty store fronts do they consider acceptable in Rock Island County? ..... The fairest way to raise taxes on a business is to do so without hurting retailers on either side of the rive. If Iowa can do it, why can't Illinois? Please, stop giving shoppers more reasons to shop in Scott County. If you don't, you're sending more Illinois money to Scott County stores and the taxes they collect benefit Scott County schools. I'm sure the people of Scott County will appreciate additional tax revenue should this increase pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment